Composing A Proper Definition Essay On Domestic Violence
So you’ve been assigned to write a definition essay on domestic violence. The first step of writing a paper on domestic violence, or any essay really, is to understand how it should be put together. Let’s take a look:
- Introduction. Your introduction is where you state the intended subject or topic of your essay. You will be letting the reader know what your paper is about and giving them a general idea of what to expect.
- Body. Here is where you will write in detail about your topic, usually for a few paragraphs. This is where you convey all of the information that you wish to convey to the reader, so make sure you don’t leave anything out.
- Conclusion. This is where you tie up any loose ends and give a quick overview of all of the information that you covered in the body of the essay.
Now that you have a general idea of how your essay should be put together, in order to compose a proper definition essay, you will obviously need to understand some definitions. Let’s take a quick look at the subject of your essay (and clear up a few common misconceptions).
- So, what is domestic violence? Domestic violence is any violent behavior or acts of aggression within the home. Now, just to be clear, that does not mean just hitting. Hitting does, of course, fall into the category of domestic violence. But did you know that it can also include sexual assault, intimidation, psychological abuse, and emotional abuse? And that’s only the beginning of the list. It can take on many forms.
- Who can be a victim? Anyone. Literally anyone can become a victim of domestic violence. Normally, we tend to think of women and children as being the primary victims. But men can just as easily be victims as women can.
- Who can perpetrate it? Just as anyone can be a victim, anyone can also be an abuser. That’s right, even a woman. In fact, many men who become victims are reluctant to report it, and so fewer cases come to light than actually occur in which the woman is the perpetrator, and the man is the victim.
- Who can do something about it? Everyone. In fact, by simply writing a paper about it, you are taking a step against it by increasing awareness.
All that being said, you should now have a pretty good idea of where to start as you begin writing your paper and shedding light on a topic that, sadly, remains increasingly relevant.
In the Definition Essay, the student uses his or her own, lived experiences, as well as their preconceived notions and opinions about something, in order to redefine a word, a term, or even a concept. The student writing the essay ultimately provides a personal commentary on a relatively ambiguous item, such as an abstract thing like “freedom” and ultimately explaining what the term means to them and, quite possibly, others.
Most people will agree on the definition of a physical object – like a cat, plane or book. Yet abstract terms (like love, pain, intelligence) carry different meanings and connotations to different individuals. The Definition Essay provides the student with an opportunity to share their personal, extended definition of something – which, again, can be a term, a word or a concept.
In this particular kind of essay, since the Definition Essay is personal in nature, and selected topic is generally based on the student’s need or desire to clarify it – to explain to others what it means on a deeper, more universal level. For example, if they feel that the word “marriage” should be defined in a limited manner (or, on the other hand, if they feel “marriage” carries more liberal implications), the student can explore the term in an essay, illustrating what the word truly means.
ABCEssays is a team of professional writers ready to help you with any kind of essay. Choose the topic from the list below or invent your own one, give your requirements and enjoy the result.
List of Topics for a Definition Essay
|Parenthood||Sensitive||Sense of humor||Thrill|
|Exciting||Rights to bear arms||Physical Fitness||Discrimination|
|Kindness||Generosity||A happy marriage||Peace|
|Sexism||Right to privacy||Friendship||Justice|
|Political correctness||Self respect||Gain||Athletic|
|Peer Pressure||Heroism||Perfection||American Dream|
|Violence||Ethics||Global warming||Sexual harassment|
|Evil||Racial Supremacy||Spiritual wellbeing||Rude, or impolite|
|Fashion||Pessimism||Ecstasy (the emotion)||Materialism|
|Argument||Torture||Renaissance Man (or Woman)||Civility|
|Agreement||Egotistical||Urban||Freedom of Expression|
When writing your essay keep in mind that you should know much about the concept you are defining. Spend several days gathering definitions from different dictionaries, then invent your own explanation of the given notion, don't forget to illustrate your essay with examples. Or just order essay that will cover all your demands here!
Do you do research proposals?
View all questions
Celebrating 10 Years in Business! We offer:
- PhD-level professionals
- On-time delivery guarantee
- Automatic plagiarism check
- 100% authentic or your money back
- Customer information remains strictly confidential